"Happiness is not something you find at the end of the road...it is here, now"
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony"
- Mahatma Gandhi
The more time I spend on the internet, the more I realize what a pathetic and miserable bunch of people we all have become. We are the generation that wastes time in the virtual world just to find validation or repress any human feeling of ANY kind. We spend hours reading controversial things online just to see if there's some negativity we can gain from it. We are the generation that has coined some hurtful degrading words that we throw at each other from the comfort of our iPhone screens. We say things like "LOL" when in fact we are not laughing at all. We crave people who can portray the perfect "lifestyle" for us, so we don't think our world has gone to shit. We want everything in life to be "goals" and we want it all NOW and we want it delivered to our front porch (because Amazon prime, bro). What happened to just being happy and content with the already existing life? Well, let me tell you..
We have been told lies our whole lives. We've been told from day one that happiness is something we achieve when everything finally looks the way we've been thinking it should. Cue the ring, babies, country house, a sports car, nice wardrobe, weight loss -- whatever it may be. But here is the truth..these things alone will never create lasting happiness, so then happiness becomes this unattainable thing that we want but don't know how to achieve.
This past year has been a shit show for me in so many aspects of life. I really thought about just clocking out for good. I wish it were that simple, don't you? And the more I thought about ALL the things that could make me happy, the more unattainable it has become. And then I realized that happiness shouldn't be circumstantial nor is it ever circumstantial. You CAN and you SHOULD he happy at this moment without waiting on all your "goals" to come true.
It all starts with one very important thing -- SELF LOVE <3
You need to realize that you are perfect the way you are. You don't need to be fixed. Stop limiting yourself by saying that "I'll be happy when.." or "I'll be happy with". When you let go of all this bullshit, you open yourself up and free yourself of any crazy expectations. Now you can be free.Now you can be happy.
These are some of the things I have been practicing lately and it has really helped me to see the bigger picture and to stay happy:
1. Meditate daily - I mean even if it is only for 5 minutes, find the time to sit somewhere quietly to ponder and to reflect. Think about your day and everything you did that day and give thanks.
2. Give yourself compliments, daily. It will be weird at first, but you'll get used to it.
3. Cut ties with anyone who tries to kick dust on your sparkle. It will be hard to lose friends or loved ones, but you must pick yourself first, always.
4. Do things with your hands. I usually water my plants or I'll knit for 30 mins. It's very therapeutic and will calm you down after a long day.
5. Laugh freely. If it's something that's worth laughing about - do it!
6. Don't watch anything that's going to upset you or stress you out. Instead, read a book.
7. Take a long walk and listen to some good music. Maybe even bust out a dance move!
8. Surrender sometimes...Not everything is meant to happen YOUR way. Sometimes things work out differently and you must be able to let it go and let it happen.
At the end of the day, your happiness is a priority. So, remember that.
And as always, be good and do good..